Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that Real Madrid will not sign a new centre-back in the January transfer window.

The 64-year-old had previously suggested that Real Madrid would look to sign a new defender in the winter market due to the injury to David Alaba, who ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee against Villarreal last month.

The Athletic had previously reported that Real Madrid would consider signing a centre-back in January but Ancelotti has now ruled out the possibility, insisting he has enough depth in his squad to cope for the remainder of the season.

He said: “At the moment we are not considering signing a centre-back because we are missing two important centre-backs, but we have two others in whom we have a lot of confidence and (Aurelien) Tchouameni and Dani Carvajal can do well in an emergency.

“I repeat: yes. We are not going to sign (a centre-back).”

It was confirmed last month that Ancelotti had agreed a new contract at Real Madrid, committing him to the club until 2026.

The Italian’s current deal had been due to expire next summer and uncertainty over his future lingered throughout 2023 amid persistent links to the Brazil job.

Ancelotti said he had been in contact with Brazil over becoming their national team manager but he maintained he wanted to stay in Madrid.

go-deeper

GO DEEPER

Ancelotti extension could see him stay at Real in non-coaching role

“Obviously very happy with the renewal,” he added. “It was quite simple. We just agreed between the two of us without any problems. It was very quick. Very happy and very happy to continue two years as Real Madrid coach.

“The reality is that everyone knows, Madrid knows, that I have been in contact with the (former) president of the Brazilian federation, Ednaldo Rodrigues, who has made me very proud, but he is aware of the situation I had in Madrid. In the last few months what has happened is that Ednaldo is not the president of the Brazilian national team.

“I want to be coach until 2026 and hopefully it can be until 2027 or 2028. I like Madrid and I want to stay here.”

Real Madrid are currently top of La Liga and are next in action when they face Mallorca this week.

Ancelotti confirmed that a number of injured players are set to return over the coming month, while right-back Carvajal will start in the match taking place on Wednesday.

He said: “The desire is to start this new part of the season well. We’ve had good news in the last training sessions, those who aren’t coming back are very close. Vini (Junior) is back, Carvajal is back, Arda (Guler) is back, (Ferland) Mendy and (Eduardo) Camavinga are coming back next week.

“Carvajal will play from the start. I haven’t decided yet with Vinicius, the truth is that Vinicius has shown that he is very well. Guler is back after a longer lay-off. You can’t compare the three.”

go-deeper

GO DEEPER

Kylian Mbappe is free to negotiate a summer transfer – and Real Madrid have set a deadline

(Ricardo Larreina/Europa Press via Getty Images)

End