Steak butter is hands down the best way to top a steak! The rich flavor of butter and fresh herbs combine to enhance steak’s natural savor and flavor.
Made in just minutes, herb butter for steak will soon be a favorite item in your cooking.
Just the word steak is enough to make mouths water – from the tender inside to the charred and crispy outside, steak is robust and delicious.
You don’t want to mask the flavor of steak with an overpowering sauce, but steak does need just the right amount of seasonings to really enhance its natural flavor. My Steak Seasoning is so popular, but sometimes you want an extra layer of that steakhouse indulgence.
That’s where steak butter comes in! Seasoned with fresh herbs, garlic, pepper and salt, steak butter melts into the steak and mingles with the natural juices to create intriguing flavor profiles that will make you savor every bite.
Butter makes everything better! We use it everywhere… from chocolate butter and strawberry butter for pastries to savory butters for steak, potatoes, veggies and more! It’s even amazing on a dinner roll or piece of crusty artisan bread.
As a bonus, the herb butter for steak can flavor and soften the char on the outside of the meat, making it more delicious than ever! Using steak butter is an all-around great way to enjoy your steak and other meats.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Butter – Softened. We used salted butter here – but if you’d like to control your salt intake you can use salted or unsalted. (You can learn how to soften butter quickly here.)
- Fresh Herbs – I like to use parsley for a classic herb butter, but you can use oregano, chives, green onion, or rosemary as well.
- Garlic – Minced garlic or garlic cloves, minced. You can find a complete list of Garlic Conversions here, and get the simplest techniques for how to peel and mince garlic here.
- Salt – Thick flakes of salt add texture and flavor to this amazing butter. Optional: You can eliminate if using salted butter.
- Pepper – Thick flakes of freshly cracked ground black pepper offer the most robust flavor and texture. You can use ground black pepper in a pinch.
- Zest – Add 1 tablespoon lemon, lime or orange zest to add bright flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
- For a highly detailed steak temperature reference, be sure to head over to this Free Printable Steak Temperature Chart – so handy!
- Use fresh herbs, garlic, and pepper for the most intense flavors.
- Soften the butter before mixing.
- Chill before serving so it doesn’t melt too quickly.
- Scaling up, down or substituting? You’ll love this printable Measurement Conversion Chart!
More Serving Suggestions
Garlic herb butter is amazing on so many things! These are just a few alternative serving suggestions!
- Use a food processor! It saves time from chopping herbs or mincing garlic.
- You can use dried herbs in a pinch, but let the herb butter sit out for an hour or so for the herb flavors to be absorbed into the butter.
- Wash, dry, and chop herbs ahead of time. Store for a couple of days until ready to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Steak butter seeps into every bite softening the charred exterior, making it even more tender and flavorful.
Just out of the oven or off the grill.
How to Store
- At Room Temperature – This is made mostly of butter, so it can follow the same rules. Let it sit out at room temperature for a day or two, but if the room is too hot the butter could go rancid. So it is best to store in the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate – Store in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Keep it covered so it doesn’t absorb flavors from the fridge.
- Freeze – Store herbed butter in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 4 months. This will ensure that the herbs still have their bright flavor and the butter hasn’t absorbed any other flavors from the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature before use.
- Serve leftovers on other meats.
- Mix herb butter with pasta and parmesan.
- Spread on bread and rolls.
- Use in the bottom of frying pan to fry an egg.
- Gluten Free
- Contains Dairy
- Nut Free
Learn more about the best Side Dishes for Steak here.
A delicious herbed butter to spread on steak and other meats, vegetables, potatoes, bread, and more!
Prevent your screen from going dark
Chop herbs by hand or in a food processor.
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl or food processor and combine.
Serve immediately or chill until firm.
Substitutions and VariationsFresh Herbs – Substitute with oregano, chives, green onion, or rosemary. Zest – Add 1 tablespoon lemon or orange zest. Worcestershire – Add 1 tablespoon.
To StoreAt Room Temperature – On the counter for 1-2 days. Refrigerate – In an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Freeze – In an airtight container up to 4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature before use
Calories: 104kcal (5%), Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 1g (2%), Fat: 12g (18%), Saturated Fat: 7g (35%), Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 31mg (10%), Sodium: 248mg (10%), Potassium: 19mg (1%), Fiber: 1g (4%), Sugar: 1g (1%), Vitamin A: 513IU (10%), Vitamin C: 3mg (4%), Calcium: 8mg (1%), Iron: 1mg (6%)
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.