Cravings, especially sugar cravings, are common in women, and research has shown that 97% of women and 68% of men experience some food cravings, including sugar.
People who experience strong carvings have the urge to eat anything that comes their way, which can be sweet, salty, savory, or creamy. And most times, they find it difficult to control their appetite and consumption of food. This can lead to overconsuming calories and binge eating, which is unhealthy for the body.
When craving food, you must go for healthy things. This article will explore the possible healthy things to eat when craving.
Healthy Things To Eat When Having A Craving
Here are the 21 healthy things to eat when cravings. Do check them out:
1. Fresh fruits
If you are having sweet cravings, instead of going for sugar bars or candy, fresh fruit is one of the healthy things to eat. Fresh fruits like berries, apples, oranges, or grapes can help with sweet cravings. In addition to fruits helping you with your cravings, it helps to keep you healthy.
2. Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of cinnamon can be sweet and healthy and helps to quench your sugar cravings. You can refrigerate it and take it in its chill state on a sunny day.
3. Dark chocolate
Research has shown that most women take dark chocolate to meet their sugar cravings. Dark chocolate is usually 70% cocoa or higher in moderation, and they are rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help to improve heart health.
4. Air-popped popcorn (without excessive butter or salt).
This is the most healthy type of popcorn and can help satisfy your salty cravings. You can take it with some fruit juice if you desire.
5. Roasted chickpeas or edamame seasoned with herbs and spices.
This is one of the perfect and healthy things to eat when craving. It contains healthy; crabs, protein, and fiber making it healthy and fit to be eaten any time of the day.
6. Raw or lightly salted nuts like almonds or pistachios.
Salted nuts like almonds or pistachios are healthy when having salty cravings because they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
7. Sliced cucumber or carrot sticks with hummus
This is a light, healthy, quick food to satisfy that savory carvings. Cucumbers or carrots are healthy fruits loaded with vitamins and minerals, making them healthy.
8. Rice cakes with avocado
This is one of the best food choices to take when craving. It is healthy and doesn’t take time to make.
9. Veggie wraps with whole-grain tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, and your choice of lean protein.
If you are vegetarian, this is one of the best choices of food to eat when having serious cravings. Additionally, this is super healthy.
10. Sliced bell peppers or celery sticks.
This gives you a crunchy taste that helps to satisfy your cravings if you desire something crunchy. Additionally, bell peppers are nutritional.
11. Rice cakes or whole-grain crackers.
If you love crackers, this is a good choice of healthy crackers. Rice or whole-grain crackers are a source of healthy crabs.
12. Baked kale chips or apple slices.
Baked kale chips or apple slices are fiber-rich snacks that help you to give your crunchy taste
Other healthy things to eat when craving include:
- Smoothies with Greek yogurt, frozen fruits, and a splash of milk or milk alternative.
- Avocado toast on whole-grain bread with a dash of lemon juice and salt.
- Silken tofu-based desserts with natural sweeteners and flavors.
- Whole-grain toast or a small portion of whole-grain pasta.
- Quinoa or brown rice with vegetables and lean protein.
- Sweet potatoes or butternut squash roasted with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Frozen banana “nice” cream made by blending frozen bananas with a splash of milk or milk alternative.
- Low-sugar or sugar-free frozen yogurt.
- Frozen fruit bars made with real fruit and minimal added sugars.
Remember, it’s all about balance and portion control. While these options are healthier to satisfy your cravings, consuming them in moderation is essential as part of a balanced diet. Additionally, drinking plenty of water can help curb cravings and prevent you from mistaking thirst for hunger.